I am sorry that I missed everyone last week. My computer crashed last week and it took me a while to get everything back to normal. There’s still a bit to do but I am ok to post again. This week it will be a quick post about children’s costumes, I will follow up in later weeks.
Costumes for kids
In the past, I did make some costumes for my niece and nephew but for the most part, my experience comes from making Halloween costumes for Scarlet. It needs to be said that Scarlet has been very free with her opinions since she was very small. Many times Scarlet would see something on a movie or TV show that she would then want for her costume. I used a lot of my adaptation and modification skills to do my best to make her the costume that she wanted.
Every year we choose a theme and I make costumes for all three of us. When she was younger, more often than not our theme was a direct product of Scarlet’s idea. And for full disclosure, there was an idea or two that I steered Scarlet away from and onto something more appropriate. Over the years, our themes have included witches, ghosts, mummies, vampires, zombies, fairies, angels and demons, and pirates.
About two years ago, I started hanging up Scarlet’s costumes as part of our Halloween decorations.
From left to right…
1. This is actually my mother’s high school prom dress, Scarlet wore it when we were zombies.
2. That year we were ghosts because she wanted to be a pink ghost.
3. Her Tinkerbell costume was one of the first that I designed almost completely without a pattern.
4. This year Scarlet had seen a Disney sing a long, the main little girl wore an orange and black witch dress. It was easy to make, of course, ours needed to be pink.
5. The year we were angels and demons. I was an angel, Cap was a demon and Scarlet was a fallen angel. Behind the dress you can see a bit of the feathers from the black wings that I made.
Next week, I’ll try to give some tips on how to find good ideas for kids costumes.
Costume Corner will be cross-posted at Cap’s blog, The Geek Registry.
2 thoughts on “Costume Corner – All about kids”
Feels bad for your computer crashed last week, and feel happy that you get everything back to normal. Keep update 🙂
Pingback: Costume corner – All about kids | The Geek Registry